Fire Hazard, Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Precautions for Winter Weather

Winter weather means increased risk of fire hazard and carbon monoxide poisoning from home heating and cooking sources. Increased use of supplemental heating or cooking units in cold weather and during power outages pose significant safety risks. The biggest offenders are portable space heaters, electric blankets and electric sheets. Electric heating units cause safety risks in several ways. First, plugs can spark and cause fires. Sometimes electric heaters and blankets require extra energy to heat causing them to overheat and short. Heating elements in space heaters can cause fires and property damage. Electric blankets and sheets have electric current running through them. This puts them at risk for catching fire, causing injuries and damage to property. Home heating issues result in 33,000 fires annually and approximately 180 fire deaths per year.  Please, keep yourself and your family safe. Read this information. Fire Hazard, Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Precautions for Winter Weather

Follow by Email

Search This Blog

About Me

My photo

Freelance writer, Top 100 Yahoo! Voices, Yahoo! News, Shine, Michigan, Detroit), blogger, teacher, mom of 4, happily married 25 years. Graduated GVSU 1986, psychology/general education and special education. continuing ed up to present. Certified MI teacher. Writing Michigan history mystery, children's Gothic fantasy. Areas of expertise: education, relationships, mental health, nutrition, history, world cultures. Passions: faith, Catholic church, sustainable living, interfaith initiatives, living simply that others might simply live. Working on MA in EI education. 

Blog Archive